Monday, June 13, 2011

The role of Catholic music in my reversion

So, dear readers, I am so excited, LOL.  Two of my all time favorites are now friends on Facebook,  and MySpace! and I am thrilled!  One more favorite has their own page, which I belong to.
From the moment the first package arrived from Philip Golden, of EWTN, Catholic Music has had a tremendous impact on my journey.
Dana Rosemary Scanlon reached in and touched my  sinful heart with "Humble Myself", and the Blue Rosary.  I listened to those tapes until they broke, and then got the CD's.  Of course I should add, that I met Dana twice, once while I was still very sick.  It was such a HUGE deal that I drove to see her many miles away, (while somewhat agoraphobic) ALONE!   I just wanted a chance to tell her what her music had done for me.  How she had brought me comfort in the solitary life and suffering.
I was so nervous, as I sat down with her at a parish hall table, and touched by how she talked to me for such a very long time, and listened to my story, as if I were the only person there.  Later, I received two of the CD's that I had previously had on tape, and jumped for joy.  I'm sure I bought them, but am not really sure, I had barely enough funds to pay for the gas to go to see her.  My collection has grown, and needs to be refilled, as I do have a habit of "lending" CD's and never getting them back.
The second time was after I was doing much better, and she remembered me.  She asked me to write my story and send it to her..... I never felt worthy enough, yet in some way, this blog is in response to her request.

Donna Cori Gibson appeared on Life on the Rock with Jeff Cavins one evening, when I was really suffering.  I can't swear to it, but I think one of her songs was "I lift up my heart. "  I was captivated beyond words! Listening to her angelic voice, was better than any pain killer I'd ever taken.  She filled my heart so deeply that I was convinced she was singing just for me. 
Since I was unable to go out to much, I begged anyone I could to get me her music.  Maybe I received that first tape from the EWTN Religious Catalog, honestly I don't know.  But I listened to it over and over again, then, again and again.
When Donna Cori came out with the sung Divine Mercy Chaplet, I had to have it, and have given it as a gift to so many.  If you haven't heard it, you owe it to yourself to listen to it!
Dana and Donna are truly Spirit inspired Catholic vocalists and songwriters. 
In the depths of my suffering both of them had the ability to lift me out of moments of despair and fill me with such love that I rejoiced in offering my sufferings in unity with Jesus on His Cross.  I wish there were enough words to express how very important their songs, their lyrics were to me.  If only I could find the words.

As I write this, tears of joy come to my eyes.  I am praying so hard that I will be able to bring Donna Cori to our parish, and Dana too.
In the last few hours I have had the blessings of conversing in email with Donna, and honestly, I'm worse than a little kid with the prospect of seeing Disney World.  Oh if God would grant me the Grace to have her come to my parish, let her stay with my husband and I!
Oh how I would love to share my blog with Dana and Donna Cori! What a joy that would be!
Do you know what I mean?  These awesome Ladies were there for me in my loneliness, when it felt like the entire world had forsaken me, I could listen to them, and feel the depths of love that God has for me.
To this day, the only CD's that ever play in my car are Donna Cori, and Dana and Jon Michael Talbot.  It's been so many years, and I have never tired of their words, melodies, and the way the Holy Spirit touches my soul, my heart with their works.
Thanks for listening/reading.  My journey back home has so many twists and turns, I will write them as the Spirit moves me. 

Tell me, who are your favorite Catholic Musicians?  What makes them move you?

5 comments:

  1. I am getting more and more into Gregorian Chant. It has really grown on me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy Gregorian Chant as well Lisa, Sacred Music during the Liturgy is so uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, LOVE Donna Cori Gibson!!! I have worn out two copies of the CD "Prayers of the Great Saints." My very favorite, although I own most of her CD's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many Catholic musicians who move me, depending on my mood and need. However, it is a 2-disc CD from Anne Murray which I count as my favorite, the last gift from my sister, who died nearly 5 years ago. I like to think I can hear sis speaking to me in the words of the songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. J,
    Hello my name is Steven Lawson and I am contacting you from Buffalo NY. Recently I discerned a call to start a website called whyimcatholic.com in an attempt to spread Catholic conversion stories to the web 2.0. We would love to share your story. If you are interested please shoot me an email at stevenvlawson(at)gmail(dot)com and I will send you more information. God bless!

    ReplyDelete